Saturday 18 December 2010

An Elegant Christmas Card

Browsing through some English card making magazines this week has given me a bit of an elegant inspiration for some last minute cards.  I have shown one I CASE'd directly.  And this card I made was inspired by one other I saw... mainly I stuck with the colour scheme and partially with the design.

Red and Gold Christmas


All the stamps on this card are by Inkadinkado.  I recently purchased the flourishes as they reminded my of a Hero Arts flourish, but for a lesser price, I got 4 different sized flourishes.
I embossed it in gold on a piece of burgundy card.  I used a scrap of white to matt it.... yes white- but I used a trick I saw on Stamp TV with Gina K - embossed the edges of the mat with gold EP as well.... a neat trick to ensure your gold matches.  I stamped the sentiment and holly leaves in gold EP as well.  The ribbon looks a bit bright in the photo but in reality, it looks good.

I like this design that I got some red card and did another one tonight, but used a smaller sentiment.   As I had a bit of blank space I stamped very subtlety the Magical Background by Hero Arts in a Gold Versacolour ink.  It hardly shows on the photos ( which I have taken at night under a normal dining room light~  must make a proper lightbox)


I used a Marvey Metallic pen in Gold to make the matting edge this time.   I have entered the second card into the Hero Arts Challenge for December as the EP really makes it shine.

I am just waiting up tonight as my son has asked me to go pick him up at 11.30pm...  at Titirangi, which is a good 40-45 min drive from home.... and somewhere I have only driven to once and that was in the daylight..... Aren't I a good Mummy!!!!!  I hope he appreciates it!!!!  Still give me some time to create.  I want to try a technique with bleach painting... so this might be the time to do it.


Hope everyone is having a great weekend.... it is HOT and STICKY here as it has been raining but still up to 25-28 degrees Celcius.  Yucky tropical weather.

7 comments:

Barb said...

I'm sorry, Dawn. . .but I would call it "wonderful" tropical weather. I would love some of your heat right about now! :) Love these pretty cards today! The gold embossing looks so beautiful against the burgundy! Stay cool!

Patty said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Dawn. Both of these cards are absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors you used. The gold embossing really pops!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Very Elegant indeed Dawn, you have moved outside the box a little with these two, you continue to surprise.
The cards are really lovely.
Smiles:)

Tiffany Ervin said...

Beautiful! So clean and lovely are the flourishes!

Virginia L. said...

Love your embossing and layering, Dawn! I could use some hot and BALMy weather now... just like Barb! BRRR!

alexandra s.m. said...

Such classic beauties Dawn!
TFS!!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful and elegant cards! Love the rich colors mixed with the gold!