Thursday 3 December 2009

Christmas Tag a la Oz.

This weeks challenge at Hero Arts is Holiday Tags. At quite a number of the blogs I like to visit, talented ladies make amazing tags... Jacqueline and Suzanne but to name a couple. I have been amazed by what they do, so thought I'd give tags a go. I went to the office supply store near where I work thinking I might be able to pick up some tags.... but sadly unless I wanted to buy a box of 1,000 for $60 I was out of luck... ( just trying to imagine how many years they would last was mind boggling!!) So stopped into the stamp store on the way home... yes I could get 8 tags for $1.50 - now that made more sense.....
For this tag I decided to try out Linda aka Oz's 4 stamp background technique. Visit her blog here to see the video she did... it's like being in the room with her doing it....I used my new pine bough stamp from HA's together with the sentiment from a Sparkle clear set from last Christmas. As I was trying for a bit of a vintage look ( don't think I quite got it) I dyed some white lace dark brown by putting Rich Cocoa Memento ink over it. I added a fawn flower with a dark green snowflake and a brown pearl to finish it. I am reasonably happy with the result.


Last week I bought the Spellbinders Tags die so over the weekend made a tag or two to put on my presents this year.  I ended up getting an order to do 10 of the little white and blue tags.  I used a snowflake stamp from the HA set Joyful Greetings I got last year.  For the red tags ( made 1/2 a dozen of these) I simply used the HA's digi kit - Snowman stamp resized and printed out.  I cut them out and placed on the tag.
Tonight I made another tag - This one is called my Kiwi Christmas as I used the Pohutukawa as my inspiration for it.  The Potutukawa tree is known as the New Zealand Christmas tree and has the most amazing red flowers that come out around this time of the year. The pine bough stamp reminded me of the flower. 

Well this has been a bit of a long post...thanks for taking the time to read it.

8 comments:

Tiffany Ervin said...

Love all of your tags Dawn!! Funny about the shopping experience, that would be a lot of years to use them up! Your 'Linda' inspired tag is precious, love that pine bough in the background!

Suzanne C said...

Love all your tag creations. I especially love the red pine branches and your explanation was too cool! The Linda technique turned out beautifully too!

donna mikasa said...

Dawn, I usually cut up manila file folders and make my own tags.
They won't have the fancy schmancy rounded edge but you can get a ton from one folder! Love that Pohutukawa flower. Reminds me of a flower that we have here in the islands--gorgeous tag!

Vanessa said...

Beautiful tags, Dawn! Love them all, they are gorgeous! Great use of the techniques!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

beautiful art work and i love these tags especially the first one
hugs June xxx

DustyPenny (Joy Ott) said...

Neat tags, Dawn! I liked learning about that tree, too.

Anne said...

Hi, Dawn! Gorgeous tags! Thanks for the links to Oz's videos! :-)

Jacqueline said...

Love all of your tags Dawn, nice to experiment isn't it?! BTW you can download all sorts and sizes of tag templates from the Internet. I use clothing tags most of the time and just recently some diecuts that Suzz sent me - otherwise the sky is the limit with tags! Must admit that the travelling tags are very nice though!