Tuesday 12 May 2009

Car problems.....

What can I say..... I hate it when my car breaks down. Yesterday afternoon I left work just after 4.00pm with all good intentions of going to the gym... if for nothing else, just to warm up. Winter has hit Auckland with vengeance.. boy was it cold yesterday. So walked briskly to the car, jumped and turned the key......NOTHING>>>> dead as a dodo..... Rang hubby and asked if he had time to come and jump-start the car... (Luckily he only works around 5 mins away from where I work). He gets me started and said I had better just go straight home... no gym, no stopping at the supermarket - just home. So off I head.... all is fine till I turn into the driveway - to back out again to park on the road ( still no concrete on the drive.!!!! but that's another story.) well got the back end of the car across the road....and it stalls. And won't start again..... Panic stations - I'm right across the road blocking it..... Hazard lights on and race down the neighbours drive.... yes Barry is home... with his son and daughter in law - so the three of them come up and I get in to steer while they push the card round so I can park it..... Oh boy..don't we rely on these pieces of metal and an engine.....

So this morning I wasn't tempted to drive to work..... I got hubby to drop me off - Ugh will have to bus home...... hate the thought of that. Then realise son was at Polytech today - so texted to find out when he was coming past work.... about 3 he said. So early leaving for me. We drove to his mate's work ( Mike works in a garage) but would you believe it.... they did not have the right size battery for my car. He suggest a trip to Repco ( about 5 kms away) so off we go. Pick up a battery ( $127 and that was with trade discount!!!) Get home and Kieran goes to put in it for me.... wrong size terminals. He managed to get the car to start with lots of revs and about 3 goes.... so we head back to Repco and change it for one with bigger terminals..... I made him install it right there and then..... just to make sure it was the right one.....
so all is now well with the car. I feel safe again. Thanks goodness for very handy sons. I knew there was a reason for having one.

Well thanks for visiting - hope you enjoyed my small trauma of the day....

3 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, Dawn! It is never fun when you have car trouble! We rely on them for our independence and mobility! Glad it was just a minor issue and easily fixed! :-)

Pajalu said...

Hi Dawn, I feel your pain. I hate it when I don't have a car. I feel trapped, stupid I know. So glad that it was a minor problem though & that your son was able to get you on the go again.

Joshua Jiraffe Designs said...

Dawn: I'm sorry...I had to chuckle while reading your tale, not at your misery but you provided such an entertaining visual! Glad to hear all is right with the world and glad to know that my having a son will come in handy one day!!!!!! jj